Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Determination, Goal-Setting and Being O.K. with "Runner"


In my introductory post, I introduced myself as a number of things; runner being one of them.  Here’s what you don’t know.  It has taken me a heck of a long time to be able to call myself that.  The fact is, I still choke on it a little bit when I say it and have to constantly resist putting quotations around it when I write it.   I definitely was not born to run.  I was not built to run.  And, even after some significant weight loss, I would still be what many consider a Clydesdale runner.  The reality is I don’t weigh 115 pounds and I have hips. But, I run and I have been running for almost 10 years.

I have my good friend, Kelly Wiley, to thank for getting me started.  She is an incredible runner.  Ten years ago I was struggling with my weight and had decided that if I couldn’t be thin, I better be fit.  Kelly was kind enough to take me under her wing.  Running became an enjoyable social excursion.  Kelly and I would meet up early in the morning, chat about life and cover some miles. 

Now, while I haven’t always been a runner, I have always been determined and a firm believer in the power of goals.  I wasn’t a good runner.  I wasn’t a natural runner.  I was a determined runner.  To get better, I knew I needed a goal.  A half marathon was that big hairy audacious goal that seems so unattainable that it was insanely attractive.   Long story short….  I found a training plan.  I followed it.  I completed my first half marathon, proudly, with a smile on my face and my family cheering me on.  While there have been bumps and curves along the way, I have always found my way back to running.  I have also come to realize that there is something I love even more than running and that is helping others tap into their running potential.  I find incredible joy in helping people realize that nothing is impossible.

A few years ago I gave my husband the “gift of wellness” for his birthday.  This included my commitment to train him and get him across the finish line of his very first half marathon.  It was the best gift and maybe the most selfish gift I have ever given.  It resulted in hours and hours of running and great conversation with my best friend.  When one of us didn’t want to go, the other forced us out the door.  It was an incredible experience and has resulted in the completion of 4 half marathons over the last year.  My husband is in remarkable shape, at his goal weight and while hard to admit, now faster than I am. 

Now, on to the next challenge….

About 4 weeks ago, the Beyond Monday Running Club was born.  The concept is simple.  Inspire some folks to come together at the end of a long day, lace up and get some fresh air while putting one foot in front of the other.  There is no need to be fast.  There is no need to be able to run and run and run.  The only thing membership requires is a renewed commitment to health, determination and the willingness to believe that anything is possible.  Last week, the Group proved that there is definite power behind their commitment.  Not only were they out running for the third week in a row, but they decided a big hairy audacious running goal was required to keep them running, even on nights like last night when the snow and slush resulted in instant soakers for all.  The BHAG…..The Beyond Monday Running Club will be training for the Ottawa Race Weekend Half Marathon, Sunday May 24th 2015!!! 

For anyone thinking, “you folks is crazy”, you need to know that the goal is simply to cross the finish line as a team in celebration of completing a 16 week training program. We are going to have fun.  We are going to get a little healthier and we are going to be darn proud of accomplishing something we didn’t think was possible.  Now, just because you don’t live in Ottawa, doesn’t mean you can’t join us!  The more the merrier.   I have included the race website below.  Check it out.  Our official training begins February 1st and we will gladly share the program with anyone who wants to log some miles with us.  Sound crazy? Crazy isn’t always a bad thing. J  Give it some thought.  We would love to have you.


Until next time, take care..

Tracy

2 comments:

  1. Great goal BMRC! I am also a firm believer of goals. Good intentions mean nothing without action to back them up. I find that often times, if a goal is not set, it becomes more challenging to keep that "action" going. Looking forward to the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracy and Chelsey,

    The two of you are some of the best at not only setting super crazy goals but exceeding them that I have worked with! I currently I have personal health goal and challenge.

    My personal goal with for my health is very simple; Complete 2014 without eating any more meat and mostly sticking to a plant based diet. I am only 2 weeks into my challenge, but have faced several challenges and temptation already. I am excited to see how I can handle this challenge over the holiday season (delicious food everywhere!).

    The Beyond Running Club will help act as a reminder and inspiration for my personal goal!

    Thank you Tracy for sharing!

    ReplyDelete