People like
to know people. They like to understand
them. They like the details. Sometimes, I think it is just innocent curiosity;
other times I think it goes deeper than that.
People like to know they aren’t alone.
They like to feel like they aren’t the only ones feeling a certain way
or going through a certain situation.
There is comfort in sameness and there is inspiration in others
experiences.
In life,
like in business, I believe in transparency.
Information is powerful and experience is an essential element of growth
and development. I guess that is part of
the reason why I’ve decided to partake in this blog journey. If even one person reads a post and they are
able to relate and it somehow helps, entertains or inspires them, it is truly
worth the time and effort.
Maybe, in a
way, this is my way of paying it forward.
I’ve been
very lucky in my life. I have had the
privilege of being influenced and inspired by some pretty remarkable
people. They have each earned and
deserve my respect and my undying gratitude.
At the top of my list, it would be no surprise to anyone who knows me,
is my Dad. It’s funny, even typing that
last sentence has a remarkable impact on me.
I am filled with emotion.
Quite
simply, my Dad is my hero. He always has
been. For as long as I can remember, I
have idolized him. As a young child, wanting
to be with my Dad meant evolving into a certified tom boy. If my Dad liked it, so did I; duck hunting,
snowmobiling, roof shingling, splitting wood.
Growing up, there was no one who
I wanted to make prouder. It was my Dad
who inspired me to be determined and to never settle, because he never
did. I developed a very strong work
ethic because as I child I really don’t remember my Dad ever being idle. He was up early and constantly moving;
building something, fixing something or helping out a neighbor. While my Dad watched me grow up, in many ways
I watched him grow up, as well. With
age, my dad has become more level, more thoughtful, more patient and deeply
compassionate. His evolution has taught
me that there is always room for improvement and we can never stop trying to be
better.
Approximately
9 years ago, my Dad was diagnosed with cancer.
It was shocking and it turned all of our worlds upside down. The man that I had always thought of as
invincible was sick. And, he dug in,
fought hard and beat it. Once again, my
Dad demonstrated his strength and tenacity.
After my
Dad’s battle with cancer, family became even more important to me. Spending time together wasn’t just a priority,
it was a necessity. Our annual family vacations
became about spending time with my parents and there was no place I would have
rather been. Thank goodness my husband
is loving and supportive. It’s not every
man that wants to spend all his vacation time with his in-laws.
Seven
months ago, the nightmare began again. Cancer
reared its’ ugly head; this time in a form that is without a cure.
My Dad’s
illness has been nothing less than devastating. Having to face the cruel hard facts that the
man whom I cherish and idolize and consider my rock and my constant is being
victimized for a second time is terrifying.
I know life isn’t forever. I can
say it out loud and know the truth in the words, but to have to face the
mortality of the greatest influence and inspiration in my life is painful,
beyond anything words can express and it is forcing me to get stronger. No matter how long the relay, the baton
eventually must be passed. It is my turn
to be strong. I have to do everything I
can to be for others what my dad has been for me. I have to do everything I can to be strong
for my Dad, my Mom and our family. While
not curable, my Dad’s cancer can be manageable and we will help him manage it
for as long as we possibly can.
My Dad is
my hero. He is my greatest influence
and my biggest source of inspiration. I
am so lucky. I am so grateful.
Who is your
greatest influence? Who is your greatest
source of inspiration? Do they know? There is no better time than the present to
ensure they do.
No comments:
Post a Comment