It’s hard
to believe Christmas is just over a week away.
While the events of this year have constantly reminded me how short life
is, nothing drives the idea home harder than how fast Christmas seems to
approach. As a child, I thought my
parents were crazy when they suggested every year goes faster, than the
last. As an adult, I can attest to the
sentiment. Man, time flies.
With life
seemingly flashing before my eyes, I am more and more determined to ensure I am
living life, rather than allowing it to simply happen to me. I give my best effort to making deliberate
choices about how I spend my time and who I spend it with. Anyone who knows me, knows I work A LOT. There are very few hours which are not
occupied by work related thoughts, conversations and/or activities. I love my
work. BUT, despite professional demands,
those imposed on me and those I impose on myself (yes, yes, I often do it to
myself), I am proud to say that I have still made time to live, beyond my
career. I have made conscious choices to
spend time doing other things I love and with those I love.
Last week,
someone asked my husband about my running.
They were puzzled by my commitment and the deliberate choices I make to
somehow fit it in. While they seemed to
admire my actions, they also seemed to be troubled by them. I’ve never thought of my running as
obsessive, but I guess I can understand the perception from an outsider looking
in. Running has become one of the deliberate
choices in my life. It is definitely
about the exercise. I would be lying if
I didn’t admit that was a big part of it.
And, there’s more to it. I run because
I get to do it with people I love. Just this past weekend, I ran with my Mom, sister,
close friend and her daughter. It was amazing to catch up, while touring around
my hometown. I run because it allows me to clear my
head. How often do we put our devices on
silent and avoid interruption? I run
because it gives my mind a chance to wander and day dream. It’s difficult to think ahead, if you are
always caught up in the hustle and bustle of the moment. Running allows me to escape, if only for 30
minutes. It allows me to live life and
consider what is most important, so the choices I make align with my values,
both at the office and at home.
On a recent
run, I thought a lot about the concept of legacy and wanting to leave one. While leaving a legacy often inspires people
to think of gifts of money and/or property, my thoughts about legacy were more
about what I am doing or could be doing to leave a small imprint on the world. Perhaps it is vain or selfish or 100% normal.
I haven’t quite figured it out yet. I do
know I would like to be remembered. I
would like to make a positive difference.
I want to make deliberate choices about the things I do which will
positively impact others. The activities
do not have to be grand gestures to satisfy my need. They simply have to be things I choose to
dedicate time and effort to that somehow help someone else. So, despite the hours I work or the demands
made of my time, I’ve come to realize my legacy quest strongly influences the
choices I make. It helps me stay
deliberate and remember what is most important to me. In many ways it also ensures I stay positive,
for the most part. ;) Hey we all have
our moments.
So, as 2014
rapidly draws to a close and I reflect on the year, I can proudly say “I’ve
lived” (love OneRepublic) and have already started making plans for what my
life and legacy will look like in 2015.
Have you
started making plans to ensure “you live” in 2015?
Spoken like only you can. Although we don't work together anymore, lessons I have learned from you are not forgotten. I also have been making that conscious effort everyday to celebrate something in my personal life. A commitment I also plan to keep every day in 2015. From the Book of 5...Live your Life in Purpose!
ReplyDelete