Guilty as
charged.
They say
the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
I definitely started the running group with just that. I wanted to bring people together. I wanted to inspire teamwork and improve
health. I wanted to help people look
forward to Mondays rather than loath them.
And, ultimately, I wanted to help them achieve something to be proud of;
the completion of a Spring half marathon.
It all
started very well. We started slow and
easy, with lots of walk breaks and lots of talk and laughter. I would receive notes after runs suggesting
how great people felt and how glad they were to be participating. We made it through the cold winter, with very
few missed runs. Official training for
the half started on February 2nd.
I shared my tried, tested and true program and people, while nervous,
were still excited.
And then it
happened…
I am not
sure why and I am not sure how. Somehow,
I forgot my place. Maybe, it was the muscle
memory of training the program so many times before. Maybe, it was me being selfish. While I thought my intentions were still
good, my actions may have told another story.
While other
people may be guilty of not pushing hard enough, I tend to push too hard. Please don’t think I am bragging. My overdrive has led to more than one injury
and numerous lectures from loved ones about “being more responsible” while
training and not being soo “fanatical”.
Pushing hard is part of my DNA.
It’s kinda like my crack. It’s
addictive and always requires a little bit more and then a little bit more, to
achieve the “high”. Sometimes I
forget. Sometimes, I impose my addiction
on others.
Last week,
the group gathered on Monday for a long slow 10km run. Rather than taking my spot in the middle of
the pack (and yes, I should be at the back and will be on a go forward), I ended
up at the front. I had run a long run a
few days before, so my legs were tired and I didn’t feel like I needed to worry
too much about pacing. I assumed slow
would be my only option. Part way through the run, one of our members suggested
we were going a tad fast. I immediately
slowed my pace. Then it happened again
and again. At 7km, we ended up waiting
to cross a busy intersection and my husband gave me “a look”. I’d seen the look before and you would think
it would have registered, but it didn’t.
Nope. My addiction to pushing
hard was definitely winning out and my ability to “take note” was greatly
compromised. We finished the run, with
everyone in one piece. I congratulated
them all. Everyone was pretty
quiet. When I checked our pacing, later
on that night, I discovered we ran a pace 15 to 20 seconds faster than we
should have for long slow distance. Rather than recognizing the error of my ways I
was proud of the group and sent them a note congratulating them for pushing
their limits and demonstrating what was possible. Even then, I remained blind to how I had
screwed up.
A few days
after the run, I was chatting with a member who hadn’t made it out. When the topic of the run came up, he said “Oh
yeah, I heard it was brutal”. My
immediate response was to suggest it hadn’t been and that so and so just had a
bad run. Really??? For someone who preaches accountability, I
was certainly having a hard time owning my mistake. It was only on my lonely, cold run yesterday
that I came to terms with what an ass I had been. So here it is, my admission of guilt, my
confession.
Somewhere
over the last few weeks, I forgot the running group wasn’t about me or my
running. I forgot that as the leader of
the group it is my responsibility to ensure all members feel good about their
run. In a group of diverse ability, it
is my job to own that diversity and ensure everyone enjoys what they are
doing. I don’t belong in the middle of
the pack and I certainly don’t belong in the front. My place is at the back; supporting,
encouraging. Don’t get me wrong. There will still be some firm pushing
involved. Running isn’t supposed to be
easy, all the time, and training for a distance you haven’t run before is challenging. The difference is, I am firmly committed to
working within the abilities of the group and not my own.
So there
you have it; both a confession and a commitment. I am committed to doing it better and
differently. I understand the error of
my previous ways. And…I hope the group
will give me a chance to do what I always intended to do…get them across the
finish line on May 24th.
No comments:
Post a Comment